Final thoughts: the seamless integration of 4 legitimate beaches and a big city with nature (biggest urban forrest in the world!) is flawless. Copacabana is ok, but area surrounding it is trashy. Flamenco is my favorite beach. Learning Portuguese is a must (very limited English and Spanish). The cost of living is high comparatively. A big downside is the cafe scene, very few real true cafe's. If you like big butts, this will be your paradise. Very low air pollution. Very walkable, great transit system, ok on cleanliness of streets.
Join me in a helicopter ride over Christ the Redeemer!
- Most Instagrammable: Portuguese Reading Room
- To text hahaha/lol you can use kkkkkk, rs (risos means laughs), huahuahua
- Virtually zero air pollution
- Download MudeFit, a application with free fitness classes on the beach including Yoga
- Plastic straws are illegal so they use these disintegrating and flimsy paper straws. Drink fast because paper and water do not mix well!
- The cafe scene here is terrible. Not the coffee - I think all coffee tastes like crap. Just the coffee shops are all crap.
- The best massage I ever got in my entire life was here. I paid 175R ($43). Interesting, there are only a few massage shops in all of Leblon and Ipanema.
- I love these electric scooters and they are everywhere
- One of the only large cities (5M+) with legitimate beaches immeditately next to the city
- People love Açaí here! Like everyone.
- An "Americano" is not a thing here
- Best coworking space: Templo (It's listed on google as an event space and there's no signage. The other spaces I went to don't offer day passes)
- Secret hike: Two Brother's Cliff just outside Leblon. This is not to be confused with Dois Irmaos. Both times I went here there was less than 5 people. It's a short 20 minute hike to the top with great views of Leblon/Ipanema and a lake.
Portuguese Language Phrases and Keywords
Bom dia/boa tarde/boa noche - good morning/afternoon/evening (d is pronounced 'j')
Obrigado - thank you (girls use an 'a' on the end)
Por favor - please
Cuanto? - How much?
Tchau - Bye
Eu estou aprendendo português - I am learning Portuguese
Banheiro - bathroom
Você fala inglês? - Do you speak English?
Gostoso - tasty
Como você diz? - How do you say?
- Flamengo - laid back nightlife, good happy hour for people who work in the area
- Lagoa - young professionals
- Ipanema - Garcia D'Avila (expensive street), Farme de Amoedo (gay street)
- Leblon - upscale
- Botafogo -
- Copacabana - famous beach
- Santa Teresa - hipster
- Lapa - main nightlife area
Known For: Copacabana beach, Samba, Carnaval, Ronaldinho, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Caipirinhas, Feijoada