- Air quality the worst of any city I’ve been to. It actually has a negative effect on my respiratory system and I consciously do not go outside. Measurements are routinely 150+ and as high as 172. A safe limit is below 50, US cities are around 30.
- 80% population says religion is not important to them. Instead, the worship their ancestors (now, that’s a religion I can get behind!)
- Hardest city in the world to cross the street. You walk forward and the bikes and cars avoid you, if the other option is to hit you.
- Bars close between 11pm–1am
- Download Go-Viet for cheap scooter rides. The biggest difference was 10k vs 38k for Grab during rush hour.
- You’ll see people (old and young) sniffing something small, almost like as if they were snorting cocaine. I’m not sure what it is, but it is used to make you more alert.
- Scooters ride on the sidewalk, watch out! There are no rules of the road, only suggestions.
- Many of the buildings are very skinny and tall
- So many beeps! Everyone beeps constantly
- No coins. I even saw a 300VND (1.3 cents in USD) bill. Ho Chi Minh is on all the money.
- Mekong Delta Floating Market was just ok. Can Tho was a larger city than I thought and beautiful, less air pollution, a nice walkway next to the river, and things shut down at 10pm.
I also visited Vung Tau, Lắk Lake, Can Tho, and Buon Ma Thuot.
Vietmese Language Phonetic Words and Phrases
Hello - sin-chow
Thank you - g-mon
How are you? - quay-come
Bye - tam-be
Cheers - mo-hai-ba-YOOOO
Yes - vaang
No - hum
Cute - de-blum
Known For: Banh Mi